Recipe: Spiced Pear & Blue Cheese Soup by Paul Watters
As we move into the colder months, a bowl of hot soup is the perfect lunch or supper. This recipe combines the sweetness of pear with the delicious tanginess of blue cheese. Paul Watters has more than 30 years’ experience in the culinary industry and has worked in some of the most prestigious kitchens in the world.
75g blue Stilton (rind removed)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 x 415g tinned pears
3 potatoes, peeled, rinsed and cubed
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 litre vegetable/chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon dried ginger
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon dried coriander
Salt and white pepper to taste
1/4 cup double cream
1. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large pan.
2. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic.
3. Add the potatoes and spices. Mix well until evenly coated and warmed through.
4. Take one tin of pears and chop the contents. Add to the pan with the juice. Stir.
5. Add in stock and cook on a simmer for approx 30 minutes.
6. Blend with a hand blender until smooth, add cream then season with salt and pepper.
7. Open the other tin of pears, add the juice to the soup and slice the remaining pears for garnish.
8. Crumble in the blue cheese and whisk through until it is dissolved.
9. Transfer soup to heated bowls and place sliced pears on top. Garnish with a sprig of parsley and a drizzle of cream if required.
10. Serve with warmed bread or croutons.